Tuesday, June 22, 2010

African Wax Prints

I'm so excited about the african wax prints Sara brought home from Congo!!  They exceed my expectations of beauty and variety and I can't wait to get my Etsy store up and running and begin selling the accessories I've been making.  Look at how beautiful the fabrics are!  They are authentic african wax block prints - very durable, washable and beautiful, about 20 different prints.

African prints hold special meaning in the hearts of Africans.  They each tell a story to the wearer.  In Africa, clothes are often more than clothes.  The colors and designs are unique and each has its own history and story.  My understanding is that the art of wax printing on fabric originated in Indonesia and was exported to the Gold Coast and spread over West Africa to Central Africa.  These prints are plentiful in Kinsasha where Sara's been living.

Take a look at this particular one which was made for the celebration of international women's day 8 March 2010.  It is suitable for a wall hanging (photo not too great).  Sara was in Goma for international women's day and they had a women's parade there.  Each group marching in the parade wore a certain fabric. There were all sorts of groups marching, political, religious, cultural etc.

While we don't know the story behind each one of the prints she brought home, I know there is a story and that these fabrics have more significance than simply surface value.

SOOOO, in case you don't know about Etsy, it's a web site where people sell handmade products.  I plan to open an Etsy store soon and begin to sell the goods I will make out of these fabrics.  This is gonna keep me occupied for quite some time.  Wow, I have a LOT to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment